If weight loss was a colour, it would be green
If weight loss was a colour, it would be green. It’s no coincidence that green vegetables factor heavily in most weight and health maintenance programs.
Fruits, vegetables, and sea vegetables provide vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and macronutrients (fats, proteins, and carbohydrates including fibre), as well as many other cofactors to keep digestion smooth, metabolism on track, hormones balanced, immunity strong, and detoxification steady.
Few Canadians, however, eat the seven to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables recommended by Health Canada every day. In fact, only 43 percent of Canadians eat more than five daily servings.
With obesity rates rising, a nutrition-based strategy to support disease prevention and weight maintenance is within our grasp: going green.
Nutrition to go
Green superfood formulas deliver concentrated nutrients lacking in the everyday diet—nutrients that are essential in supporting a healthy weight.
If you don’t get enough vitamin D, for example—and three million Canadians don’t—this can impact hormone production. Hormones are the body’s chemical messengers, regulating everything from insulin production to metabolism. Poor metabolism and/or blood sugar imbalances can cause weight gain.
If you’re nutrient deprived, energy and motivation can suffer. Who wants to work out when you’re exhausted? A study in the Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, however, suggests green food formulas show promise for improving energy.
Green formulas have also been shown to reduce cholesterol, reduce cold symptoms, and improve the condition of the skin.
Superfoods to watch for
Keep an eye out for these ingredients:
- Alfalfa, barley, and wheat grasses: high in chlorophyll and enzymes, and provide cleansing and nourishing effects
- Red beet powder: helps digestion, and stimulates the kidneys and lymphatic system
- Spirulina: contains beta-carotene, enzymes, and essential fatty acids
- Apple fibre powder: soluble and insoluble fibre keep the intestinal tract healthy
- Phosphatide complex from lecithin: may support the nervous system, help the absorption of nutrients, and help prevent atherosclerosis
- Royal jelly: supports immunity and may increase energy
- Bee pollen powder: high in nutrients and antioxidants
Superfood formulas can be mixed with water or juice. Or add a scoop or two to your morning shake. If you’re in a rush, opt for the convenience of capsules.
Feed your body with the essential nutrients it needs to achieve a healthy weight, and watch your friends turn green with envy.